IW Meeting 2011-04-14

From Inference Web

Jump to: navigation, search

Contents

Meeting info

Attendees

  • Deborah
  • Geoff
  • Tim
  • Paulo
  • Li (will be late) - here now
  • Leo
  • Cynthia

Agenda

(to be decided at beginning of meeting based on new, previous, and on-the-fly items)

  • Grand Opening XXX
  • Provenance incubator group XXX
  • Open source issues
  • CSIRO <---
  • API documentation / examples.

New Items

  • Grand Opening! XXX
  • Resuming grad skypes. (Nick is in)
  • Leo's Sources and Sinks (Leo[workflow] + Tim[named graph loading])
  • Alternative justifications - US/UK example
    • Excel moved locations
    • should be able to find new location when following provenance to old - they link by common assertions.

Previous Items

  • Are we doing a recipes/FAQ?
  • Tim to respond to Deborah's feedback for layer page
  • Tim's current modeling for HTTP POST - how can he get a review? (e.g., [1] didn't work March 3rd)
  • IW Browser can't handle Tim's LOGD example
    • Cynthia to document preferred URI design
    • Tim to document his current design
    • Tim to review Cynthia's documentation and discuss disparities.
  • Jitin's Lehigh bench mark for PML.
  • OPeNDAP+PML
  • Tim "we are happy to have new members" verbiage for mailing list.
  • 14 Apr Paulo gives written description of a process for data calibration, or stat analysis. [2]
  • FRBR and provenance of written papers.
  • Publishing
  • Specification of requirements to use proof combining algorithm. [3]
  • uncertainty with provenance

Discussion

done: Geoff to send Tim PDF of proof combining algorithm

Paulo's Grand Opening

Was good.

6 advisors visited, gave presentations that will be presented in DC next week.

Provenance was well received from a broad community.

Provenance and Abstract Workflow

Videos of presentations - 3 on youtube

  • need to add audio, but gives a better understanding of how UTEP's tools work together.

key point: demphasize the provenance trace and focusing on the explanation.

TODO: Paulo give links after he adds audio to it.

Paulo suggests considering adding more videos to help explain what we do.

Consistent Feedback: "Workflow" term is not ideal. (semantic abstract workflow) vs. coordination of software components. Should differentiate from sci workflow b/c UTEP is working at the ontology level. This is a strength that we are not emphasizing.

Key point: integration ontologies, provenance, and abstract workflow.

Paulo mentions Li's PML-Relations - sees overlap with WdoIT and SAWs.

TODO: get update from Li for recent work on PML-Relations.

Provenance Working Group nomination

RPI nominated Paulo, Deborah, and Jim Myers

currently scheduling the telecon and face-to-face. TODAY.

Jim Myers is participating.

Propagating uncertainty

done: Tim make sure YangFan is on inference web list.

On 4/14/11, at 11:17 AM, Paulo Pinheiro da Silva wrote: Propagation and Provenance of Probabilistic and Interval Uncertainty in Cyberinfrastructure-Related Data Processing and Data Fusion: http://www.cs.utep.edu/vladik/2007/tr07-56.pdf

CSIRO visit and application

take away:

Deborah offered inference web browser code, so they don't have to call across the ocean.

plan is to get it from IW's svn

Does UTEP have access to it?

This summer: Hugo at AFRL/Rome Nick at (Goddard?) NASA

Paulo: VisKO, ProbeIT? Deborah: IW browser as first step. CSIRO will probably make their own.

Deborah: plan is to open source IW browser. (Patrick and Cynthia will be doing this end of April) OpenDAP distribution model?

Paulo: ProbeIT and VisKO will be open sources first. http://www.opendap.org/

Opening the source code is good to involve the broader community.

Perspective from former PM: provenance only works if you engage very broad community.

need PML API examples and documentation

LTER application

LTER - connection from Paulo. has language EML

  • large community, resistant to adopting new technologies.

http://www.lternet.edu/ Paulo mentions working with Deanna Pennington (Deborah met her when she was in albuquerque for the SEEK site visit)

ameriflux application

ameriflux - http://public.ornl.gov/ameriflux/ 500 antennas in the us - oak ridge

ameriflux use case: dateTime on when provenance was collected, NOT when the document was created.

  • good use cases for exercising and developing temporal aspects of provenance.
  • time most important aspect
  • looking for temporal gaps of coverage.

note from deborah - this application sounds similar to the south esk sensor network in tasmania NCEAS - Deborah is going next week for the SONET meeting - where we will discuss scientific observations

LTER (http://www.lternet.edu/) - Long Term Ecological Research

AmeriFlux/FluxNet

We store our content in ci-server installations, alhtough we have more than one ci-server installation: http://rio.cs.utep.edu/ciserver/CI-Projects


PML API documentation and examples

collecting pointers to the best PML API documentation.

recipe (PML modeling design) + implementation details (API)

todo - paulo provide links to documentation for using the PML api with examples. He suggests that his videos (with audio added) are a good starting point


Here at UTEP, we use the PML-Network API, which has the PML api embedded in it.

DataAnnotator and DerivA are the main tools that use the PML-Network

DataAnnotator for automated processes and DerivA for human processes


http://inference-web.org/wiki/PML_API

sorry - deborah - interrupted the pml api documentation discussion - will come back after li leaves

Continuation: done - TIM/Cynthia meet on pml documentation - generate documentation and also example document on how to use the PML API to do at least one use of the pml api for use in the convertor for use in logd

PML-Relations ontology

purpose: simplified, make compatible with OPM. make useful in SPARQL environment.

difference between WDO and PML-Relation (latter is trace, former is abstract workflow)

PML-R is Li's experiment

Leo interested in discussing PML-R b/c it relates to SAW

http://inference-web.org/2.0/pml-relation.owl leo, please schedule a meeting with li

done - leo to review link above and leo and li . leo should schedule a meeting with li before next meeting and then leo/li report out.


done: Tim to take another stab at trying to use PML API. Work with Cynthia THROUGH the wiki (NOT email) in preparation for face-to-face 25-29 April when she is here. NO: provenance fragments (because custom) YES: retrieval, tweak, and conversion provenance. (Patrick and Stephan will need Tim's documentation)


done: Tim to read Geoff's PDF and report if it answers Tim's question about the pattern required (so he can find a use case in LOGD).


done: grad studs report back on Source Sink

done: Tim to report availability. NOT Monday morning. (Cynthia, Patrick, Deborah meet


NEXT week: Deborah calling in remotely

Personal tools
Navigation