IW Meeting 2010-12-09

From Inference Web

Jump to: navigation, search


Meeting Info

IW Overall Objectives

     1) PML ontology: (OWL level only) potential non-monotonic  changes (Li) 
     2) PML practice  
         2.1) Use cases and examples (Tim) 
         2.2) RDF level issues (Cynthia) 
         2.3) PML Tools / API issues (Cynthia) 
         2.4) PML primer (Tim) 
     3) PML and OPM mapping (Paulo) 
     4) IW management (TBD)
        4.1) inference web infrastructure and research plan
        4.2) technologies for engagement 
     5) PML Graphical Notation


  • Tim (has a 12:00 call)
  • Deborah
  • Li
  • Geoff
  • Cynthia
  • Paulo (regrets)
  • James (following via skype)


  • DONE when is the AGU meeting that Tim should call in to? (use same number)
  • DONE when is next IW meeting? we will do next week, but not the following.
  • Recommendations w.r.t. Tim's LOGD dump files in existing PML vis tools.
    • analog to handling PML auto-generated from a SPARQL query (Jim, Alvaro, and Tim ran into this last spring)
  • physical vs digital - STEPHAN!
  • review yesterday's notes


Geoff update

"great result, and indeed there is a technical error caused by my CompareClausesWithNewSymbols program, which you use. It is caused by my optimistic alignment of Skolem symbols in clauses, and in this case I have been over-optimistic. Aaaargh. (We hoped this problem would not occur, but it has ... here's my original optimistic email ...

   I have attached the binaries that you need to compare two CNF formulae
   in TPTP format, modulo renaming of symbols that don't occur in the
   problem file. Generally such symbols are Skolem symbols, but there are
   other cases. It may be possible that the "other cases" will break my
   solution (in the sense of being unsound or incomplete) - I have not
   been able to think up examples where this happens, but it might be
   possible. It will work right most of the time."
   Renaming of skolem symbols caused an unsoundness. Will take a more conservative approach to renaming. Cynthia will be rerunning it.
   Will run the greedy algorithm.

Geoff sent out PDF of proposed outline for CADE paper. (1 Dec 2010, subject "Proof combining paper")

DUE 1 Feb 2010 (1 month, 23 days)


AGU prep

   * todo - paulo will send out an agenda for the iw planning meeting at agu currently scheduled wednesday pacific time 1:30 - 3 

default meeting place is outside Town Hall in Room 2003, Moscone West

TW AGU Participation, http://tw.rpi.edu/portal/AGUFall10_Participation


  • We need to define our requirements: How open world vs closed world do we want to be?
  • why skos:Concept and not some OWL?
  • we could go with the direct approach with a singular pmlE:hasAntecedentRole - we could then add a pmlE:hasAntecedentRoles (plural)
  • Stephan: we want hasRole to be a URI, not a string.
  • skos:Concept is scary. - we can replace that with pml:Concept (then someone can make the connection).
  • Cynthia: could use this as an example to exercise the PML versioning in the API.

PML API Versioning

Stephan: a range of a property (hasInference...) is bad b/c of the new change to Agent.

PML-J 2.01 has a 2.01 ontology URI that lists 2.0 properties. the owl:Ontology should be used to discriminate which ontology is being used.

The API follows what the ontology says. If the ontology says Age,t it will do againt.

How do I tell PML to use 2.0 ontology vs 2.01 ontology? Download one of two different tarballs.

Deborah: we should use different namespaces for new versions

Previous action items

  • DONE - Geoff will send email by Wednesday on Proof combine work
  • todo - target write paper for cade - due date feb 7 - http://cade23.ii.uni.wroc.pl/ - - plan to start from some material from aaai draft
  • todo - a non-logic (science domain) example for combining proofs.
  • todo - geoff look for examples in process control or management theory from the tptp library. idea is to get at least one more example for the paper
  • todo - Stephan to find the presentation that conveys the demo that put together in Australia (Ching's presentation)
  • todo - Stephan tries the approach that paulo suggested on using pml:Information, sends out email with questions/requests. All, but particularly Paulo help with getting the approach to work

default meeting place is outside Town Hall in Room 2003, Moscone West

Action Items

  • todo - cynthia rerun experiment after changing code for naming skolems, and inform us when done
  • todo - geoff - review update and then send out a status report
  • todo - geoff - do an update to CADE draft of paper entitied "combining proofs to form different proofs" - will update by 6 Jan
  • todo - cynthia to send her AGU schedule to Deborah
  • todo - Paulo to send agenda for IW planning meeting at AGU
Personal tools